Thursday, February 20, 2014

Where's the proof?

I don't actually know if this post will ever be published, but in the meantime...

Colonel Brandon and I were talking about recent posts we've seen on Facebook. A lot of issues with statements the LDS church has made. Some issue with a Mormon woman writing about her personal interpretation of the movie, "Frozen" and other random negativity. 

This post is not to upset my many family members and friends that could possibly agree with some or all of these things that inspired this post. This post is to briefly share my own reaction. Because I think many share the same ideas but don't vocalize it. Which is usually what I end up doing. Talking to close family and friends about it, but stopping there and letting everyone else comment. Now I am the first to admit I haven't compiled sources and done my research. So please don't think that's what this is. 

All I have is one question really. And this stems back from being a missionary on the East Coast and being asked so many times in one form or another, where's the proof? 

And to that person that is out there wanting me to prove that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true, I just have a few simple statements and questions. 

First, read The Book of Mormon and then tell me how Joseph Smith was the greatest con man in history. Getting millions of people to believe this book which was published when Joseph Smith was only 24, to then join "his" church and for what? So he could take all their money and get rich? Or be beaten, forced to move constantly, and eventually be murdered at the age of 39.

And then read the definition of "perfect" and "fulness." The fulness of something is not found in a group of people or a single person. Fulness is a noun describing the state of something being full. So unless you're talking about someone eating too much and having a full belly, it doesn't describe someone being perfect. Can God give the fulness of his teaching and gospel to someone that isn't perfect? If you believe in the Bible, then the answer would have to be yes. Adam, Noah, Moses, Isaiah were all given the doctrine, the power, the tools to teach the fulness of the gospel. 

And so was Joseph Smith and every prophet since to the living prophet today, Thomas S. Monson. 

But none of those people are perfect. They are righteous, but they, just like local Bishops and Relief Society members, are not perfect. 

So please do not discount the belief or faith that The Book of Mormon is true just like The Bible because of these imperfect people. 

Because both The Bible and The Book of Mormon promise the day of a restoration. And I know that day is here. 

So don't apologize for having a testimony. But don't actively try to stir things up and offend. Just love. 

That's what The Savior taught and that is the most important. So members of the LDS church don't sit and point out fault of others, because we all have it. And those that are no longer members or never have been, don't point your fingers either. 

Just love and pray for inspiration on how to handle deeply difficult issues we all face. And then go out and do your best to love and teach and inspire.
 

1 comment:

LauraP said...

Emily you are on a roll with your blog posts! I love them all. I totally agree with you. I get sad when people get too caught up in trying to find "proof" and wanting to know EVERYTHING and if they don't get an answer they decide the church isn't true. I also get upset when people rag on the church when mistakes happen. Like we are all supposed to be perfect. The gospel and doctrine of Christ are perfect and true. The people aren't. Although I would say President Monson is probably pretty close :) I think people like to complicate things that don't need to be complicated.