Thursday, February 6, 2014

My Life Unstaged

Alright folks. Here's the deal. I love looking at homes. I love seeing what people do with them to make them their own. Starting at the age of 12 I helped a family friend with their Utah Valley Home Shows. I always loved looking at all the homes with my mom. I am kind of nosey even. I've been known to look through homes when babysitting or feeding neighbors animals when they are out of town. Promise I'm not creepy though. Eh... Moving on.

So I also have this weird fascination mixed with frustration with all these "famous" bloggers and instagrammers. They somehow seem to have the latest and greatest of everything. Clothes, decor, furniture, etc. While this isn't true, I somehow believe it is. I find myself looking at my humble twin home thinking, man I would love to have new couches, white trim, a fireplace, and beautiful window treatmentsand pillows. 

But then I have other moments of pride when I see small corners and items that I love. Stuff that I got for a steal, won at bunco, or inherited from family members. I look at the gifts that have meant so much to me. The items I've moved with me from apartment to apartment. I love those moments of feeling awesome. 

Nobody has the latest and greatest. But we all have special stuff that make us happy. So why don't we share those. Not the perfect. Not the expensive. Not the latest fads. But the everyday moments that make us smile and make us crazy. 

So with the inspiration of a few friends' Instagram feeds, my own curiosity and fascination with living spaces, and the need to get away from my disillusion that everyone else has everything I want, let's share all of our own moments of #mylifeunstaged. 

Rules? There aren't really any. Just show me the rooms and items in your homes that you love. 

Here's my episode 1 of my life Unstaged. The bedroom. 

 

My bed. Man I love my bed. The first three years of marriage we slept on a 15+ year old mattress we inherited. Then we bought our first piece of furniture. A new mattress with a simple box springs and metal frame. I have thought about getting a bed skirt but it would just collect dust right?

My be surroundings. 

I always have a box of tissues by my bed. I've been known to blow my nose... A lot. People make fun of me for it. But even the thought of boogers in my nose gives me the heebie geebies. The newest addition to my bedroom are the striped pillows and bench. Both were Christmas gifts... From myself. (Am I the only one that does that?) and both were from Joss & Main. Now that is a cool store.  Especially when everything was an additional 20% off. 

And the black rectangle is my inherited laptop from Colonel Brandon. It has no battery life and is not sleek, but it works. 

And then Maggie's stuff can be found in every room. We have this new tradition of playing with toys on the bed while we watch Kelly and Michael in the morning.  

So there you have it. My Life Unstaged. Join in on Instagram with the hashtag #mylifeunstaged.  

3 comments:

Angel said...

I'm excited about this. I might not always hashtag though because I'm paranoid with them. Especially if Zoey is in them. :)

m & k said...

I love this! You are so creative!! Can't wait to go home & take mine! :)

Blake and Aubree said...

You're so amazing Emily!! I love this!!!