Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Mediocrity

Do you ever feel mediocre? I just finished looking at Pinterest (geesh) and a strange thing happened. Instead of getting all mopey because I couldn't create or buy the beautiful things I saw, I found myself reading a blog post about financial tips and I felt so mopey that I can't save and budget like this blogger. I realize I won't go into debt to go on a vacation or buy pretty things. I know that I would never let myself go into credit card debt and I'm grateful the world hasn't gotten that strong of a hold on me. 

But then to look at the other side of things and have those same feelings. Getting depressed that I am not disciplined enough to budget and coupon. It just doesn't leave.

But I need to accept that I will be mediocre. In everything. I will not be an amazing chef, DIY queen, frenzie couponer, perfect budgeter, extravagant vacationer, fashionista, wealthy mom blogger, or a fancy home decorator. 

And today I'm okay with being mediocre.  

Update: I hope this post wasn't misleading in saying it's okay to not try and be better or not try to be great. My point for this was attempting to change my focus inward. In this world of many talents, it's okay to not be the latest and greatest. Do what makes you happy. Even if that is being a momma in the privacy of your home or calling a friend to help them feel better. We always say It's the little things that count, but let's actually believe that. It doesn't matter if the rest of the world knows who we are. Or what we do. Do what you love to do and love it. And of course strive to be a little better everyday.  

12 comments:

Laura Behle said...

You are spectacular at making cards!!

wisp said...

Sweetie, you are wonderful at being you! Look at you. College graduate, so good with kids, amazing mama, great wife, you dress so cute, you are in excellent shape, your hair is adorable, your decorating is so cool, I could go on and on. You aren't a mediocre girl. You are an expert at being who you are. And that is a great thing! And there's a girl that feels like she's a mediocre blob in Kentucky that wishes she could be more like you. <3 There is only one you. There's never been one before and there will never be another one again. That's pretty phenomenal if you ask me. ;)

Bishoffs said...

This post has really got me thinking about how great satan is doing at making is all feel like somewhat of failures. Just last week I was discouraged envying yours and all etsy business moms who find time to have a business on the side of being a mom. I've seen your posts on Instagram and said, oh she's so cute, great hair, new house, cute clothes, has a side business, why am I not like that. It's no way to live a life thinking that. Especially when those you envy or compare yourselves to are comparing themselves to others too! Gah! Thanks for this post:)

LauraP said...

Oh man I've been feeling the jealousy bug because a few of my friends are always going on trips and just seem to not have a care in the world (and they have kids! Who travels with kids). Haha anyway. I just need to learn to not let it bug me. I have other way awesome things in my life. Plus I'm with you. I always wish I was better at budgeting, but the thought of starting overwhelms me.

Emily B said...

Awe thanks Laura. Everything I learned, I learned from my momma.

Emily B said...

Sometimes I tell myself those vacationing neighbors put it on credit to make myself feel better. :/ Who knows how people afford what they do. But all your travel expense goes toward visiting family which is perfect. And why is budgeting such a scary thing?

Emily B said...

Christine- you sure do know how to make a girl feel good. And be day I want to be as caring and sweet as you. Seriously you are the sweetest wife and amazingly talented writer. Like holy smokes. And I like that you said we can be experts in being us. We may not be an expert at one thing. But the combination of things we're good at make us an expert at being us.

Emily B said...

Britt-Satan really is at work. It's hard to not feel lousy when we see everyone's out togetherness in Instagram. If only we saw the stuff not seen in the picture right? And I just help promote Emme +Ivy. I am nowhere near talented enough with a sewing machine ;). And your little gal is a doll!!

Jocelyn said...

You are the cutest mom and sweetest person ever! Totally not mediocre!

CourtneyandMarc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CourtneyandMarc said...

Emily, I just read this today and I loved it. I have been stredding myself out lately thinking that I'm really not the best atg anything. I like to cook, but am I the greatest chef in the world?-No. I've always considered myself a creative person, but then I look at everyone's new ideas on pinterest and convince myself that I'm not after all. But the last week or so I finally realized that I don't care to be the best! Not that I'm going to be lazy, or not try hard, but I'm not going to stress myself out of I don't give the cutest handouts in young women's! I've really been aware of this in my life lately and instead of feeling like I'm not the best at those things I've realized the things that I am really good at. So I pretty much loved this post, thanks for writing!

CourtneyandMarc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.