Sunday, January 26, 2014

Simply Singing- Primary Singing Time Ideas

I remember my singing leaders. Some were fascinating to just watch. They were so enthusiastic and their eyes lit up the room. Others planned these extravagant games to help us choose the songs we were going to sing. They probably spent hours and hours preparing. 

I've been the Primary Song Leader for almost 2 years now and my favorite is to simply sing. I don't plan a new game each week. We usually just sing. And it's so fun. The junior kids have fun singing Hinges and falling to the floor when we "crack."  And the senior kids love learning new songs that aren't as well known. I usually don't even create pictures or posters because we come up with actions to help us. I have started two new things this past month that I wanted to share in case anyone else will find them helpful. 

1. With the senior primary we have started learning songs together. I let someone pick any number between 1 and 285. And that's the page number we'll turn to and learn a new song. I realize this only works if the senior primary is old enough and large enough. And it also requires a pianist that can sight read the music. But it's been a lot of fun. And I've found it's really helped the kids that don't typically sing to start singing. I think it's easy to get bored singing the same handful of primary songs for so many years and it's a fun challenge for them to be part of the teaching process since we are all learning and teaching in that exact moment. 

2. I mentioned this in an earlier post but this year the children are helping me with my scripture study by singing/learning a song that relates to what I read that week. 

Week 1 we sang the first verse of Nephi's Courage (120) with the scripture 1 Nephi 3:7. 

Week 2 we sang the chorus to The Iron Rod (Hymn book 274) and I read 1 Nephi 8:30. 

Week 3 we sang The Eighth Article of Faith (127) and I read 1 Nephi 13:24-26. 

I love that this helps the primary kids connect song to scripture. Showing that when we sing we are learning gospel doctrine. And keeping the commandment of scripture study.

So happy singing. And don't ever feel like you need to do more than simply sing. 

  

No comments: