Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Stargirl

Today we started Stargirl in my 8th grade classes. I came prepared in a long white dress. I wanted the students to experience similar thoughts about me as the characters did about Stargirl the first time they saw her. I was disappointed I didn't have a Ukulele to complete the outfit.

It was fun hearing their comments and discussing the conformity of our school. In the first chapter Leo describes other outfits of Stargirl's--one of them being a flapper dress. My students did not know what a flapper dress was. I told them I had one and explained what it was. Then I mentioned I would wear it to school tomorrow.



Lucas, the 9th grade TA in the back whipped around and said "You'd wear that to school?"

I don't think the 8th graders fully grasped the conversation.

Gotta love the awkward moments like that.

1 comment:

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

They'll remember it forever, though, and eventually all the synapses will fire and they'll "get" it. You're a terrific teacher, I can tell!