Sunday, October 23, 2011

Forget yourself

The other day I was having what I thought was a horrible day. I was feeling sorry for myself and I was more than a little angry. I didn't feel like going to sleep, even though it was late, so I got up and went to my computer and logged on. The thought came to me to get on facebook. When I got on I found my brother-in-law on, but my sister was not. You see, I started doing facebook for one reason, my brother-in-law John was sent to Afghanistan and it's the easiest way to communicate for him. I asked him if Christine fell asleep again and he responded that he didn't know. I then asked him how he was doing and he said he was "having a hard time." When he said this, I almost told him, "Yeah, me too," or something to that effect. But, I was prompted to just forget my problems and talk to my brother.
It turns out that a close friend of his, a second father to him, had been killed that day, and he didn't have anyone to talk to because it was the only day my sister has missed talking to him because she was sick and sleeping. He actually couldn't tell me at that point, so I could only say general words of encouragement. But, I hope it helped him in some way. I really hope it did.
All I could think of was what if I had said I had a hard day too. There he is, away from his wife for a year in a dangerous place where people get killed.
I'm glad that I forgot my problems. And I'm grateful they are the only problems I have. I could hear President Hinckley's father's words echo, "Forget yourself and go to work." This is one of the most striking example in my life of forgetting oneself. I'm glad for once in my life, I finally listened.

2 comments:

wisp said...

You helped him a lot. Your friendship means so much to him. Thank you so much. =')

Maren said...

Good Post, it's great learning things about you and what's going on in your life. That is a good reason to get on Facebook.