Sunday, October 24, 2010

Keep him in your prayers


Friday night was a bad night to forget my phone. Luckily the Colonel always has his. He showed me a text from my mom shortly after we arrived at our friends for a late dinner.

Calling her back, I got very different news than I expected. My dad had been in a 4-wheeler accident while deer hunting and was life-flighted to the hospital. Our friends were all a bit confused to find us running out the door. Getting to the ER was nothing I've experienced before. I was confused and didn't know where my mom was. The curtain was closed in the trauma room where he was and a kind nurse came out to explain what was going on.

My dad, my strong and unbreakable dad, had 9 broken ribs, a collapsed and punctured lung, and a broken T1. I began to cry as she spoke; then I was completely embarrassed when I found my mom completely calm. (On a side note, she had already spoken to him and knew was alive).

We found my mom who was so strong, and little Carly, who was the only one home when the hospital called, both in a small waiting room.

As we found out more about what had happened I marveled at the hero my dad is. After my dad and Wes (12 years old) flipped over the top of a 4-wheeler coming down the mountain, my dad braced the rolling machine with his back. Knowing if he didn't, it would squash Wes. Wes only had the wind knocked out of him.

While my dad is in a lot of pain, he is a hero.

Please keep him in your prayers during this long recovery ahead.

UPDATE: My dad is doing really well today (3 days after the accident). He walked for the second or third time and even was able to go outside. One nurse said she has never seen so many visitors and thought dad was famous. Sunday night Wes brought dad some cookies he had made and said "thanks." Thanks for all your prayers.

12 comments:

Dave and Lizzie Barrett said...

Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry Emily. I will pray for your dad.

Laura-Clark said...

I was so sad to hear about Uncle Jim on Saturday morning. I didn't realize that an 11 year old was riding on the 4-wheeler with him. Your Dad is a hero! He has been in our thoughts and prayers. Oh and I would have cried at the hospital too, don't be embarrassed!

Laura-Clark said...

It's me again... I just had to tell you what Clark said after I told him about your blog. He said "Jim would have risked his life before letting anything happen to that little kid. He is one of the most loving people I know". We love uncle Jim and we hope he recovers quickly!

jake said...

Your dad is a hero in more ways than one. Growing up I always wonder what type of man your mom would marry and she couldn't have done any better than Jim. As strong as he is, I'm predicting a quick and full recovery so the deer should consider themselves lucky only for this year because "he'll be back"!

Natalie Lundberg said...

We have been praying for your dad like crazy. It was nice to see him today and see how strong he is, even through all the pain.

A and M said...

I'm so glad you shared, I had no idea! We will definitely keep your dad in our prayers and hope for a full recovery. Was the little boy hurt at all? What a scary experience.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

You will all be in our prayers. It is a terrible thing to have someone you love hurt and in pain. We hope his recovery will be swift and complete!

Nicole Nield said...

I am glad he is doing OK! But sorry to hear about his close call.

Molly said...

Your dad is amazing. I'm happy to hear some good news. I'm so proud of my uncle! Your whole family is in my thought & prayers. If anyone can recover quick and come back strong, it's Jim!

wisp said...

I've never met your dad, but it made complete sense that he was saving a little boy when he got hurt. My mom told me he was hurt and then told me he had been protecting a child and it was like, "Of course," in my head because it just fits your dad's character.
When my father had cancer and went through surgery, it felt so strange to see him look so small and gray and sick in the hospital bed. My dad that never goes down, completely invincible. I really started to cherish him even more and not take for granted he'd always be there and be fine. I'm so glad your dad is still with us so that your family will have many more memories together. Love you and the Colonel so much. Call if you need ANYTHING. *hugs*
~Christine

adrienne said...

Your Dad truly is amazing and in our thoughts and prayers! I keep thinking how many more lives does this man have?! Love you and your family!

Tamera said...

I am so glad your dad is okay! I was so worried when you texted me late that night! Your dad really is a hero for doing that, but I already thought that anyway. If you or your family need anything, let me know. I'm just down the road.