Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Need For Touch

"Stop touching each other..." I feel like I've said that thousands of times the last two days while babysitting four children ages 8, 5, 5, and 4. However, while sitting in Sacrament meeting today with Alexis on my lap and Ashlyn laying on the rest of my lap a thought came to me. I remember teaching Bev in Burlington, Vermont. She is just fabulous and one day the subject of hugs came up. She said she felt like once she hit 50 she became "untouchable." She isn't married and her children don't live close, so to receive hugs from two sister missionaries is a special thing for her.

It is true that we need to feel loved. One of my favorite song lyrics - "everybody, everybody wants to love...everybody, everybody wants to be loved." I made sure to give more hugs to the kids today and say "I love you" with a kiss on the cheek when I tucked them in.

Hug somebody today, or better yet...hug somebody over the age of 50.

1 comment:

Papa John said...

Well said! And you even dotted all of the "I's" - good work.